About This DVD
For all Instruments and all levels
The most universal Scale in the world, the pentatonic scale may be the least studied. Now George Garzone has given you the keys to the Kingdom with his in depth lessons from the beginning (simply playing the 5 notes of the Pentatonic Scale) to the end (advanced chromaticism) and many new ideas in between on how to create with this most useful of scales.
Time and Feel are stressed
In George’s own words from the DVD “The main focuses of today’s DVD is gonna be talking about the world of playing in time and even eighth notes, working on a solid structure when you improvise.”
Taking The Fear Out of Improvising
The DVD is for beginners on up to advanced students and teaches how to improvise on one key grooves using the minor Pentatonic Scale. Watch and listen to David Beecroft and Jody Espina jamming over the DVD at the JodyJazz Showroom. Mike Stern, John Patitucci, Kenwood Denard, Rollins Ross and George Garzone play on the DVD. Jody Espina is on the JodyJazz DV Alto 8 and David Beecroft is on the JodyJazz HR* Tenor 8*.
“In The Funk Zone With George Garzone” – DVD Trailer
An organic simple method for Improvisation
If you are a beginning improviser this is the best improvising method for you. George will teach you how to improvise in an organic fun way. You can go at your own pace, and rest assured that the first chapters of the lessons are completely accessible by beginning improvisers. And what better way to lean than by playing with the greatest players in the world.
If you are an intermediate improviser this is the best Jazz improvisation method because it will solidify your time and phrasing and then introduce new melodic and harmonic concepts to you. Learn and play with the best to be the best.
If you are an advanced improviser you will love the advanced chromatic concepts that George spells out for you. And we don’t think that there is anyone that is so advanced that they won’t enjoy trading licks with George Garzone and Mike Stern over the top of John Patitucci and Kenwood Denard’s groove.
Two CD Disc Sets Include
- Lessons – 6 Chapters with transcriptions, exercises, examples, play alongs and trading.
- Garzone On Time – George shows you how to practice to achieve a strong time feel that everyone in the band can relate too
- Performances – We let the tape roll and the best musicians in the world had a ball. Everything is first take, unrehearsed joy.
- Trading – play back and forth with Mike Stern and George Garzone with Patitucci, Denard and Ross holding down a killer groove.
- Play Alongs – This superstar rhythm section lay it down just for you. Play it back on your system loud and be inspired by not only their funky groove but by the expressions on their faces that show how much fun they are having.
- E-Book – In all keys, The E-Book contains all the lessons on the DVD and additional exercises to help you master the presented material.
- Interviews – Hear these legendary musicians’ thoughts on music, life and “the groove”.
- This DVD was filmed and recorded with a three camera shoot live at Systems Two in NYC, one of the finest studios anywhere. There was no overdubbing or separating of the musicians. What you see on the video is exactly how the music was played in order to capture the spontaneity and joy of the performances.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Insert Disc Two into your computer. To retrieve the E-Books, you will need to open the CD or DVD as a Data Disc, so if your computer automatically opens the CD or DVD with music software such as iTunes, Windows Media Player or DVD player, close or ignore the applications. Locate your Disc Image on your computer (On Mac, it will show up on your Desktop as well as on the side bar of the Finder. On window, disc image is located on My Computer or Computer) Click or double click to open the disc image and drag the e-book to desired location on your computer.
This 2 DVD set is an Improvisation Instructional DVD based on playing over simple Grooves utilizing the minor Pentatonic Scale while stressing a solid time feel. Virtually all levels of players from beginner to advanced will benefit the this DVD.
The E-Book that is on Disc II, is written for all keys and will have all the music you need. There are transcriptions and exercises written out but there are also times on the Disc where we have provided you space to write out your own transcriptions.
One of the most beautiful things about this DVD as opposed to other improvising methods is that you will definitely develop your ear while playing with this. And the great thing is that you won’t even realize you’re working on your ear until one day you realize how much better you can learn things by ear.
The musicians on this project all stressed to me how important the feel and sentiment are behind the music, more so than technique and chops, which they all have of course. By playing along with them and essentially being in the band you will soak up this feeling. In the comfort of your own home you’ll be able to relax and really just let it flow. Watch how they play and interact with each other and you’ll see the love and joy they have for playing. You can’t help but catch the vibe.
- Published by: JodyJazz Inc.
- Produced & Directed by: Jody Espina
- Videographer: Kevin Scott
- Sound Engineer: Joe Marciano
- Written By: George Garzone
- Assistant Director: Naoki Iwane
- Film Editor: Patricia Buskirk
- Artistic Director: Naoki Iwane
Filmed and Recorded at Systems Two Recording Studio – Brooklyn New York
- Saxophone: George Garzone
- Guitar: Mike Stern
- Bass: John Patitucci
- Drums: Kenwood Dennard
- Keyboards: Rollins Ross
Free Garzone Transcriptions
Saxophonist George Garzone and JodyJazz Inc. have created a 2-disc DVD set that masterfully teaches the art of “Structured Improvisation” through pentatonics, time, and melodic development. Below you will find video clips and transcriptions to accompany those clips. For the greatest retention and comprehension, you should transcribe much of the material and use the provided transcriptions as reference. Each transcription comes from the Ebook included in the DVD set. If you click on a transcription, a printable PDF containing that transcription will open. Enjoy these free transcriptions!